Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Corruption begets more corruption

Our town is running a cottage industry on corruption, it is so extensive that Federal agents from neighboring states are being brought in to handle the extensive workload. It all started when our local newspaper ran a story on my judge's 3 hour work day and the rampant corruption in our county's divorce court. Interestingly, six months earlier I had an interesting conversation with the senior editor about that very subject.

After my judge made the front page, following additions discussed other judges, ruined lives by the court's inefficiency and how dismally our courts compared to other large county's in the state. The daily exposes caught the attention of the State Supreme Court that is charged with overseeing the county courts. They came to the conclusion that our county's court system was the most inefficient in the state. Not rocket science when you consider that none of the judges worked a full day.

Then the local media moved onto county government, one headline even had the famous named brothers on the front page, one was my judge working a mere three hours a day, the other as county auditor with 90 political friends on the government payroll.

Now the supreme court is considering suspending or disbarring a pair of pit bull lawyers. When I complained about my ex's pit bull tactics, bystanders assumed I was talking of this team being investigated. I wrote about them in a post entitled Circles of Hell.

There are 23 pages of allegations including lying to judges, not filing required paper work, wrongful allegations against the opposition. While this firm is synonymous with pit bull lawyering, they are by no means alone in reputation or questionable practices. My ex's lawyer practiced all these bad habits too. Maybe the State Supreme Court could investigate some more powerful lawyers in our court.

If the judges worked full days for their $121,000 per year salary and managed the lawyers who practice before them, then maybe these abuses could not occur. When I personally reported the violation of civil rules on handling of subpoenas by opposition counsel, my judge's reaction was one of amusement. He chuckled that a mere lay person such as myself caught my ex's 25 year veteran pit bull breaking the rules. It mattered not that I am college educated, a professional, and intelligent. I have no JD, and in our courts that makes me subhuman, an opinion shared by his boss, the administrative judge as reported in the same newspaper at his re-election. The judge did take the unusual step of requiring all parties to stay until an AJE was signed by all parties. But proper management would have called for disciplinary action up to contempt and sanctions. That just doesn't happen in our courts, hence the State Supreme Court's label as "worst court in the state".

Legal disclaimer, I do not know, nor have I had dealings with the lawyers mentioned in the media. I am merely republishing the media's investigative findings. My allegations of similar behavior are against the parties in my litigation covered by my legal notice.

No comments: