Saturday, November 29, 2008

Man on Fire

I'm a photo, movie, and music fan, haven't put out anything with this tag in a while, so here's a post on a popular movie that I see a connection too.

Man on Fire, staring Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning is an intense movie about kidnapping and corruption in Mexico (originally in Italy). The movie is intense, violent, rated R for a reason. It is remarkable that Dakota being as young as she was could be exposed to such intensity. Christopher Walken stars as Denzel's friend, a different role from his usual bad guy, instead he helps set Denzel's background and add some humor. Marc Anthony plays the father of Dakota, married to Radha Mitchell, her mother. Mickey Rourke does a great job of playing the arrogant corrupt family lawyer. Rachel Ticotin as the helpful investigative reporter and Giancarlo Giannini as one of the few caring non-corrupt officials play their roles very well.

But the sub plot is how a child breaks through a man's cold heart, burned out from his intense work ethic and violent military career. When she is kidnapped, he erupts with a passion, a mission he truly cares about. To rid the system of its corruption. And that he does, showing no mercy to those who abused their trust.

If you get a chance, the double DVD version has an alternate ending suggested by Denzel. Still tragic, but some personal vengeance dispensed. Notice how the villains keep rationalizing with "I'm a professional" or "it's just business" or "I'm sorry", at one point Denzel gets sick of it and orders the villain to stop saying that.

Our judges and their "officers" (lawyer's, guardians, evaluators, social workers) are all "professionals" too and they say they are sorry that their large case load can't always deliver BIC, but then some work only three hours a day for full time pay, so what kind of sincerity is that? Lying bastards and bitches.

Certainly this storyline is intense, the heartbreak severe, kidnapping assisted by the corrupt system. Do you see a parallel? Oh technically you could say there is no comparison, but practically on an emotional level, right here in this United States; Is the breaking up of families, the relegation of NCPs to less than a parent, really so much better? Do we, us pompous ass American's, have any right to watch that movie and criticize Mexico as third world, when we American's do a very similar thing on a much grander scale? We are so blind to our own problems. And do our corrupt officials deserve any less punishment than their's? What have they done to deserve mercy?

Am I saying they should all be killed? No, that's a bit drastic. But I do firmly believe that they should pay for their crimes, hard time, like any other criminal and never hold an office of trust again in their lifetime. That would be justice. I pray for that day.



Some movie quotes:

  • Dear God, I do not ask for health or wealth. People ask you so often that you can't have any left. Give me, God, what else you have. Give me what no-one else asks for. Amen.
  • Creasy [pause] You're smiling.
  • [about Creasy] I think he's been sick. He's all right now, but I think he's been very, very sick.
  • Pita (Dakota): There are some good things in this world.
    Creasy: Oh yeah, like what?
    Pita: Like meeting me.
  • [about Creasy] She showed him it was OK to live again.

  • Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
  • A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever. It depends on how good he is at it. Creasey's (Denzel's) art is death. He's about to paint his masterpiece.
  • He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than ten years of your courts and tribunals. Just stay out of his way,
  • You know, I-I'm a professional.
    [Creasey (Denzel)]: That's what everybody keeps saying. "I'm just a professional". Everybody keeps saying that to me. "I'm just a professional", "I'm just a professional". I'm getting sick and tired of hearing that.
  • I got all the time in the world. *You* don't, but I do.
  • Last wish? I wish you had more time.
  • Okay, my friend. It's off to the next life for you. I guarantee you, you won't be lonely.
  • [Creasy is planning to go after Fuentes, a high-ranking corrupt police lieutenant]
    Mariana: He's better protected than the president of Mexico!
    Creasy (Denzel): He's gonna need it.
  • 2.5 million, that's what Victor got, isn't it? 2.5 million to your lawyer [Mickey Rourke] that he put in an account in the Cayman Islands, but he won't get a chance to spend it. What happened to the other five Sam (Marc Anthony)? Huh? That's 2.5, 2.5. What is five from ten? That's five. What happened to the other five, Sam?

  • Do you think God'll forgive us for what we've done? No.
  • Revenge is a meal best served cold.

No comments: