Monday, June 11, 2007

Whosa Bitch?

My regular readers will already know this, but before I make a provocative post, I thought I'd get a few things straight. I have always understood bitch to be a derogatory reference to women. I am always surprised at women referring to themselves or other women as bitches in a friendly way. Although there are other slurs where this occurs, so maybe its accepted.

I have used the word bitch a lot and I just want to assure the female audience that I mean no disrespect to the female population in general, just the two bitches in my life. That would be my ex, referred to simply as "bitch", and her seemingly older twin lawyer who I refer to as "hired bitch".

I also avoid stooping to use of body part references, I have repeated my lawyers reference to the "hired bitch" as "fuckin cunt", but that even makes me cringe a little, but I use it to demonstrate just how low the woman is viewed by others. I refer to my own lawyer as a "pussy" (not a cat) because he is that and worse. To be PC, I should say "wussy" or "wimp". But since I called him "fuckin pussy" to his face and it upset him so and the rest of the firm knows I did (I think I saw his assistant trying to fight off a smirk from her face), it has stuck, although I usually just shorten it to "pussy". And since we have talked of testosterone poisoning of late, I might as well mention that I refer to my lawyer as "testosterone starved" and I don't mean that in a good way as some of my readers may suggest.

Well this is the basis for a future post. I want to make it clear that derogatory language is meant to be directed to individuals, I do not have a gender bias or grudge, I freely admit that I do have a divorce system/lawyer/judge bias (that crosses gender lines).

Hopefully women will allow me these exceptional slurs without taking personal offense.

I have heard some say that a "bitch" is any woman who speaks her mind. Since that would be expected behavior in western culture, it would make all women "bitches", somehow I doubt that is a widely held definition.

If any one can conjugate the word bitch for me and help me understand the acceptable and unacceptable uses, that might be interesting, for now, I confine my usage to a narrow band.

As always, I don't mean to offend, if you think I did, let me know and I'll try to make it right. I ask the same courtesy in return.

7 comments:

Little Wing said...

Some women are quite proud to call themselves a bitch, seeming unaware that the true meaning is a female dog in heat.
Women have now came up with a new term for the word using each of the first letters.

I never call anyone a bitch, although occasionally call myself one when jesting. That is when I am doing my ghetto talk. Actually I have spent time in a ghetto as a child, so I feel like I earned the right to 'talk ghetto'.....I can only speak for myself here.

As near as I can figure, to call a man a pussy is to call him a girly man. I personally prefer the term dick-wad. I admit to using that a few times out of anger.

I think that to call a woman a bitch in anyway but a joking manner would be a bad thing. Like if a man is really pissed and yells, "you fuckin' bitch!" at his wife or girlfriend, I think it is serious. Enough to possibly get him shot.

Some slurs are racially motivated, and not ever acceptable.

I have to be really really angry to call a woman a bitch, and I try not to let anyone make me that angry, as it actually just means they stole your power.

Just my take John.

Little Wing said...

The worse type of name calling are the ones that are used on kids.

The impact name-calling can have on personality development. Even fully grown adults who are subjected to regular insults (verbal abuse) are eventually affected by it and they come to feel less adequate, less competent and less loveable the more they experience being insulted. This effect is much much more powerful in childhood when a youngster's sense of self is not yet fully formed. At this point, being called names can leave the child truly believing that he or she is damaged, worthless, useless, bad and defective, as well as unlovable. Once a child entertains such notions about him/herself, the child tends to act in ways that are consistent with that poor self-image. So a child who is regularly called "stupid" for example, comes to believe that he can't do things like other people and then he stops trying to succeed. The label can be crippling. Of course the negative labels used regularly by parents tend to be much more damaging than those used only by siblings, but the effects of sibling-abuse must not be underestimated.
So maybe if we stopped all name calling we could become a much more functional group of people.

JQ75 said...

As I've mentioned in some comments, I try to avoid name calling because it is something I don't want my son doing.

I just do it on the Blog for venting, but I thought I'd address that here in case people thought I had general bitterness.

That's right a "pussy" is an attack on a person's manhood. And frankly I think most guys would consider it a bigger insult. Call a guy a big dick and he might think its a complement, LOL.

Well, I wouldn't even call a woman a bitch in a joking manner.

And you are exactly correct about anger. But despite someone's best efforts if other people work long and hard enough to provoke and hurt someone, everyone will break at some point.

Certainly kids should be discouraged from name calling, and you're right, it's never nice for anyone and the world would spin better without names or labels.

Little Wing said...

You are correct John, in that we all have our breaking point.

For every action there is a re-action.

Up to us to decide what it will be.

I know you use your blog to vent and I think it is perfectly acceptable.

Lara Croft said...

I like WIKIPEDIA definition.

Bitch is a term for the female of a canine species in general. It is also frequently used as a derogatory term for a woman, taken to mean that she is malicious, spiteful, domineering, intrusive, or unpleasant. This second meaning has been in use since around 1400.[1] When used to describe a male, it confers the meaning of "subordinate",

Fact of life some woman are mean, spiteful, malicious. domineering, intrusive and unpleasant. I have had bitches for team leaders, they were all that and more.

Lara Croft said...

And some men are bastards :-)

JQ75 said...

Lara, thanks for an authoritative source. The keyword is SOME.

And some men are pussies. LOL. Hey I didn't think about that, apparently my lawyer was the hired bitch's bitch.