Sunday, January 28, 2007

Extra Visitation

Last Saturday and this Monday I got extra visitation. Cool, is she coming around? No !

In one case my son was going to a birthday party at a movie theatre. She was concerned that it was a public area. She felt the parents would not be able to watch all the children so wondered if I wanted to go otherwise she would. OK, extra time. The other time, I kind of helped with. Since he had a day off school, the school had organized a pool party for the afternoon part of the school day. I knew he’d like it and mentioned it casually to her a while ago.

At the Birthday Party, I brought a camera to take a few photos. While talking to the parents and the one other mother who stayed, my son asked for the camera. He had a ball taking photos. I sat with him during the movie. If it was up to me (or us), we might have seen a different movie or done something else. But some time is better than no time.

I arrived at the pool three hours before my normal visitation. My son was very happy to see me and came right over to the side of the pool. She kind of kept her distance, then eventually left.

When we were getting ready to leave the pool, my son asked what time he’d have to go back to Mommy’s. I said the usual time, 7pm. Oh, he said with excitement, since you came to the pool, we got extra time. I said, yeah I guess we did.

Kind of odd, measuring time with your Dad.

I was going to use an alternate title “Free babysitting by sperm donor”. The realistic view is somewhere in between. I don’t like that extra visitation is only at her convenience and with a preplanned set of activities. It’s not related to my son’s needs.

Its just another demonstration of her control. She’s divorcing me, to get her freedom, but I don’t get my freedom. Guess I have a title for another post – "One Way Divorce".

1 comment:

Leigh said...

I am so happy for you to able to see your son a bit longer this week, although at the same time feeling very sad for you both.

It will get better! Keep your head up.