Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What a difference a generation makes…

When I was growing up, I remember my parents or grandparents telling me stories of the old days without this or that. The stories seemed almost unbelievable to my young mind.

My parents told me of a time without TV. I remember when all TV was black and white and the first color TV we had. I remember the first VCRs. You could tape your favorite programs, you had to program in a bunch of parameters to tape it, you had to watch for repeats, you had to change the programming when the TV schedule changed.



Well now, there is TIVO. You don’t watch channels, you don’t care about when the program is on or if the schedule changes, you don’t get repeats. TIVO takes care of it. You tell it the types of programs you like, it finds the channel and time and you replay from hard disk at your convenience. Great educational programming on Travel,. History, Discovery, and The Learning Channels and so many more. This way my son can actually watch quality shows in our limited time. I’ll get the complaint “Dad it won’t fast forward”, “Sorry you’re watching that show live”. Back in the old days we had to watch all shows live. One day my son just made his own remote.


As a young boy, I remember my Uncle’s darkroom, he was a photojournalist. I remember his safe lights, his big medium format equipment, prints hanging on a line to dry. In college, I started into 35mm photography in a big way. I have darkroom equipment for BW and color printing.

Since my son was small, I’ve used a digital camera. Since he was little he’s seen the digital camera and often asks me to see the shot. Occasionally when he sees his grandparents ot me use a 35mm camera he asks, how come I can’t see the picture. I’ve been exposing him to more advanced photography, using a tripod to make a steady shot or to get in the shot, when to use flash. One of these days we’ll have to shoot with my higher powered 35mm stuff.



The little silver camera in the middle is my older 3 MP digital camera surrounded by my two black 35mm cameras, one with wide angle and the other with a mirror telephoto (small telescope). Notice the size of the 35mm flash head next to the small flash on the digital camera. This 35mm outfit can still give any digital a run for it’s money. It’s a lot bulkier and heavier though. Someday I’ll replace it with a DSLR.




And to think how I reacted to the stories of the old days, and now I find myself talking about the old days. Time marches on...

2 comments:

uncertain girl said...

Wow, you're right. I can ask you for tips and tricks. I figured out the focus - I had to stop moving. *grins*

JQ75 said...

Oh that’s just a starter pack, I have two camera bags and select equipment from a large cabinet depending on what I’m planning on. Wedding, Nature, Macro, Sports, are all different and I select from my equipment to suit the subject. I also have a choice of tripods, light, unipod, full studio. Various flash equipment.

You should have seen what I brought back from a 30 day trip to Europe some years back. I had two big freezer bags filled with film canisters (for hand inspection). I’d love to upgrade my serious equipment to digital (DSLR).

That little silver digital camera has had over 10,000 shots in the last few years. I’m nearing 2000 shots on my new 5 MP digital camera that I got last year.

Actually your mistake is rather common. People forget that camera shake, especially if your subject is far away or moving reduces the quality a lot. The next problem is light, people don’t realize how much light is needed to get a good fast shutter speed. Bright sunlight is so much brighter than overcast or late afternoon, which is so much brighter than anything indoors. Regular lighting indoors is very dim, so a flash is required.

Feel free to ask anytime. And if you’re shooting digital, just practice and experiment, it’s only memory on the card or hard drive.