Thursday, March 01, 2007

Who's to Blame

When my son asks why there are so many restrictions and hurdles to seeing me, what am I supposed to say? He wants to blame someone for the frustration of being estranged from his father.

If there were obvious barriers like incarceration, physical distance, etc. it might make sense. But if he misses his mother's bus stop, he only has to wait a few more stops to get to me. I'm so close, yet so inaccessible. Why, he wonders?

Well here are some possible answers:
  • I don't have time for you. Well that would be a bold face lie, I've taken shifts no one wants to be able to lengthen the time I'm available for him.
  • Mommy's a bitch and you are the only way she can get even with Daddy. Whoa baby, can't say that (I never have to him, her yes) it's too much truth for him to handle.
  • The court has rules and made the decisions. Not a lot better, because he now has a dim view of the court. Actually not true either, because if it were not for Mommy's hired lying bitch, the courts decisions would be much fairer.
  • Mommy is paying a lot of money to one of the ballsiest bitches in the state and it's her lawyer's fault. Mommy has no say as to what her employee does. That would be my wife's explanation, if it makes any sense to you, please explain it to me.
  • Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or the Boogie Man is to blame. He won't accept that.
  • It's none of your business. Don't think he'll accept that one either

I asked my lawyer this question, he couldn't answer it.

So I blame it on the court, it seems as the lesser of the above choices. During a disagreement, my son made a disparaging remark about the court. That is what triggered the flurry of "concerned" phone calls to my lawyer this morning from my wife's lawyer and the Guardian. I may have been a terrible father and been indirectly responsible for my son's distaste for the court.

And imagine what could happen if an entire generation grew up who had an inkling of doubt about Family Court. Why, there could an overthrow of this disastrous system. WOW !

Status: First Draft

2 comments:

jd said...

Why couldn't the guardian talk to your son and ask him what he wants and then relay that to the judge????

JQ75 said...

jd's common sense question is so much at the heart of the problem that I'm going to answer it in a separate post so it isn't lost as a comment.