Monday, September 10, 2007

I'm Back....

My entire career has been in computer support. I was lucky enough to be in a school system that had a computer program in the 11th grade back in 1973. Back then that was unusual and it also necessitated having a big room and waiting quite a while to run programs. I went from there to college to get a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and nearly got a second degree in Mathematics (my favorite subject before computers).

Back then it was a science, not a ubiquitous tool. Today when you say you are in computers its almost like saying you are in autos. Do you drive one, change the oil/tires, or actually rip the engine apart and put it back together. I am trained in Enterprise Class Systems Programming, I'm the one who puts the engine back together after the parts have been scattered all over the floor.

But computers change, and so did I. I still love the Mainframe Monsters, the Enterprise Class Infrastructure. It is the most challenging, the most impressive. More on that when I launch my Mainframe Adventures Blog. But you gotta keep up with stuff. So I have stayed current with the Mainframe Monsters, but now there are more platforms to deal with too. So I need at least a conceptional understanding of the other platforms and the network topologies that connect them. So its been a non-stop education, which I've enjoyed.

Imagine my surprise to learn when my son entered Kindergarten four years ago that our school had an aggressive K-12 computer technology curriculum. And when they said they needed volunteers to help with the class I signed right up. And they enjoyed my assistance and I enjoyed seeing a new generation learning today's computer technology.

So that went fine for two years, then last year, things went awry, my wife got to the teacher first, this teacher did not relate to me as the other's did. I had a good relationship with his two previous teachers, his gym teacher, the counselor, the principal, but I could feel the tension with this teacher. She chose other volunteers and never used me for the whole year in any computer class or any other volunteer opportunity she had control over. I mentioned this as the Collateral Damage of Divorce in a post 4 months ago.

So this year I made sure things were different. I got to the teacher first, and better yet, it was while my son was visiting. No tension, first impression went well, an involved Father brings his Son to meet the teacher. Then I arrive at curriculum night early, find the sign up sheets and sign up as computer volunteer first. The counselor asked, gonna sign up as a computer volunteer this year. I said sure thing, Guess he didn't know I did last year too. At the end of the night I was the only name on the list.

So the next day I go in and whee was it fun to be back helping with the computer class again. The class with my son and his classmates. I fixed a couple problems they had, they were thrilled they didn't have to call the school board and fill out a work order. Made a great impression on the teacher who now could see what I was capable of, that I am much more than just a computer user. The kids even did a "class cheer" to thank me.

So it's great to be back. Everything looks perfect, well almost... See at the end of the sign up, the writers workshop list was full and my ex hadn't signed up for anything. So what did she do... Sign up to be a computer volunteer. Well she does use a computer (doesn't everyone), but my son can help her with it, his skills passed hers last year. So I asked her, well can you do Excel charts? Well no, so I can learn with them. Yeah the kids can help her. Its just the principal of the thing, she may volunteer with me, we'll see. It doesn't bother me much, it's just the principal, the meddling, the not leaving me alone. ** Big Sigh. **

Well if the fruit cake shows up I can ignore her (she didn't the first day). There's no way I'm letting her scare me away from what I like to do. I'm just glad to participate.

But unlike marriage, divorce and its harassing games are forever. I've been told I need to accept that as a new fact of life.

1 comment:

Lara Croft said...

You really have to watch out for those femme fatals !!