Sunday, October 15, 2006

Tagged V2

Here's a twofer, lest you think I'm all negative. This is a job I had earlier.

1. What is the best thing about your workplace?
Hmm, in no particular order:
  • New startup company, very exciting, diverse activities and clients.
  • No time for BS, games, politics.
  • Work hard, well compensated, play hard (business outings).
  • Direct connection of your accomplishments and company performance.
  • Able to work from home for some assignments.
2. What do you hate about your workplace?
As a small startup, the safety of big company was not there, and it eventually went bust.
There was something particularly agravating about how it went bust, but that's a story in itself.

3. What small irritance at your workplace really annoys you?
The owner had an ego now and then and you were always (24x7) on-call.

4. Describe the actions/quirks of the weirdest person you work with.
That's a hard one, worked with so many different people, but for short bursts. I guess I'd have to say that on one assignment this place was very casual, but I had other clients that were formal. Well you give up your dress code desires when you have a six digit client. For efficiency one day I showed up to the casual client dressed for an afternoon meeting with a formal client. You'd think I was dressed for Halloween, every single passer-by stopped to quiz me, even though they knew me and knew I had other clients.

5. What is one thing that you would change at your workplace to make life a helluva lot better?
The owner could have spent a little more time trying to get venture capital, so the company didn't go under.

Imagine the stress of going from a company where you reported to the owner discussing 6 digit engagement opportunities to having an obnoxious 20 something who wasn't even sober, trying to give you advice. Culture shock barely describes it.

No comments: