Thursday, July 12, 2007

PC Disclaimer

Well let me get this out of the way in a separate post. Here is my political correctness disclaimer. From now on, I can simply refer anyone who points out an exception to this post and say “I told you so”.

I don't consider myself a liberal, I believe, especially with age, that I am open minded. I am an independent thinker, sometimes I've been accused of being too independent, eg non-conformist or politically incorrect. It's gotten me in trouble, it will no doubt continue to. But it will require a damn good reason for me not to be me. I can't think of one.

As someone who started his career in a University environment I was exposed to diversity before it became politically correct. I was nearly lynched by my all male technical staff when I simply explained that the openly and aggressively gay candidate would be interviewed, when I hired a Muslim candidate long before 9/11, it wasn't long before people found his pre-prayer rituals “different”, he did his job well, was a peaceful and polite family man and I defended his “differences” in some cases this defense had to be forceful. I criticize lawyers in this Blog, only to find that a long term Blogging Buddy is considering this as a career. Obviously I'm not alone in my criticism, in fact that Blogger Buddy has been known to criticize a lawyer or two.

The point is there is an exception to every rule, never say never, nor always, nor everyone. When I make a broad or general statement, it is generally true, not always true, not applying to everyone. Now technically the semantics I use may imply that it is a universal statement, but it is overridden by this disclaimer. It is simply for expediency in communication, so I don't have distracting footnotes covering every exception.

Only God and Fools can make universal statements and I am neither.
(jqism)

2 comments:

JQ75 said...

Now just to clarify that last line...God can make them because they are a Universal Truth. Fools make them because they don't understand the truth.

Little Wing said...

Good post JQ.....you tell it like it is, and I like that.