Monday, February 05, 2007

2 Dads, 1 Little Girl

My younger brother and I try to get together once a month for a brothers night out for fun. Occasionally we get together about a serious subject, work related or for some type of help. Although our industries and job functions are different, they have some similarities and synergies.

Turns out that there is something I want to know about his industry for a job opportunity and he’s working in an area closely related to my skills. So we were going to get together for a working session. Not just a casual show and tell but some serious in-depth work.

My younger brother has a 5 year old daughter. My sister-in-law had planned a night out and was going to take my niece to her mother’s. Everything seemed fine. Then the 2 Dads made a couple of mistakes.

First I arrived while my niece was still home. Oh boy it’s Uncle ---, she said jumping up and down. Well she had all kinds of things to tell me and show me.

When it was time for her Mom to leave, she declared she was staying with her Uncle. Even visiting Grandma wasn’t enough incentive (she sees me less often). So my brother said, "You’ll have to"... “I promise, I promise” she said before he could complete his request “let us get our work done”. So guess what happened…

Well I watched her favorite cartoons with her, looked at books, we did every puzzle she had, and she taught me how to play NintedoDogs. We had a great time right up to her bedtime. Then my brother and I got to work, quite a bit later than planned.

I hadn’t planned to spend time with my niece, but I love her and enjoyed the visit, as I always do. My brother and I still got things accomplished although it made for a very late night.

But that’s how things go with children, you have to be flexible with your schedule.

And that’s OK, they’re worth it.

2 comments:

uncertain girl said...

Reads like a fabulous fun time and it was exactly what the Creator wanted for you - some 'kid' energy to soothe your spirit.

You're right, be flexible because those tiny people are all like Gumby.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of being flexible.....I have a class of 'rugrats' in my yoga studio, they are pre-schoolers, and they are so flexible! Their little bones are still growing and it is so easy for them to do yoga!