Saturday, February 24, 2007

Missed Visitation

I was spending last night trying to make up for one of my lawyer's careless mistakes and left my cell phone in the basement. I didn't miss the cell until it was getting late and I expected a call from my son. Then after looking all around the house, I found it.

It had 4 messages from my son. He was bored. Mommy said I could take him to the movies and he wanted to go. I called back. I asked her, "Why didn't you call my land line?" "I did" she said, I checked my caller ID, "No you didn't, what number did you call?" She called the wrong number.

Well how about tomorrow? "No, we have plans", she said.

I'm only two miles away, so she could have dropped by. But I can't depend on her for anything, so I guess I'll have to get a neck strap and always have my cell phone strapped to my body. It's too much to expect my wife to remember both my cell and land line phone numbers.

My son usually calls me on my cell from her cell, because many times he is not in the area and our mobile to mobile plan allows him to call at no cost. My son has my cell number memorized. I guess I'll have to have him memorize my land line too.

I know I made the mistake by leaving my cell in the basement, there are so many other reasons I could miss a cell call too. It is very rare for me to miss a cell call, but this time it caused me to miss out on an extra afternoon with my son (she needed a babysitter last minute). And I could have done it, my son was disappointed and I am so frustrated that we missed out.

So if you are an apologist for no-fault divorce with kids, don't try to change my mind, you are wasting your energy and you'll just piss me off. I have an open mind about many things, but my son and I have lived with the consequences of a frivolous divorce, we are paying a very steep price. The price is further aggravated by the screwed up domestic relations system that would not know BIC if it was a train that hit them standing on a RR track. Why? Because they just don't care about anyone else.

* BIC = Best Interest of the Child, the often quoted but never exercised goal of Domestic Relations Court.

No comments: