Sunday, April 15, 2007

Entering a New Phase

I have implied the subject of this post before, but I want to draw special intention to it.

Lawyers are always at some level of conflict with their clients, both as "officer's of the court" with the goal of settling the case, and as greedy professionals with their own personal interests to protect.

The most insidious implementation of the latter conflict of interest, I'd call a "conspiracy of greed to milk a case for fees". It takes both lawyers' and the judge's active or passive actions to fully play this "game".

I am struggling with this situation now, because if the lawyers have their way, they will seize their inflated fees from my assets as a condition of the final decree and by doing that cause a forced liquidation of my assets that will be very unfavorable to me. It will force me to stiff my creditors or sell my house, which they are very willing to say they don't care about as long as they get the fees they want.

Now if I received legitimate service, I would feel an obligation, but when a $5,000 divorce turns into a $100,000 debacle, I justifiably feel robbed, and that it happened inside an austere pretentious landmark courthouse does nothing to make it better, quite the contrary, it feels so much worse.

For 30 years of my adult life, I have never stiffed a creditor and enjoyed an excellent credit rating. Over the last two years, this has taken a sharp nose dive, and it sickens me. I mean that quite literally. As William said "It is not in my nature" to give up (or stiff creditors).
I will do all I can to do neither.

And be forewarned, I consider a creditor to be one who has provided a service of value and in case you can't read between the lines that excludes greedy manipulative lawyers.

I have a lot more to say on this topic, but my computer problems are delaying it.

No comments: