Sunday, April 15, 2007

Special message to my brother-in-laws

I hope you aren't reading this...

If you are, then you are in violation of my terms and conditions for access to this Blog. You are subject to prosecution and recovery for damages. Not criminal, although my FBI contacts are still in my Palm, civil, small claims, just enough to hurt, no big burden of proof.

I like you guys, we've gotten along fine. You know your family issues, you know your sister. You know she can dish shit out like her old man. You know she can be a spoiled brat.

I'm sure you got the exaggerated version of my faults, just remember, she lived pretty comfortably while she was with me. So if it's you guys messing with me. Stop it. Move on.

If it's that odd address from China or Finland showing up in my stats, same for you. But hey if you are actually legit readers, I'd like to hear from you. My worldwide English readers have a lot in common, I'd be so curious how these issues apply in your countries.

And FYI, My most critical data was never exposed, not even for a second. My next step will be to lock all disks out, not with Microsoft crappy controls, pre-boot and physically offline. My backup process was in place since day one, it's standalone to offline media. Just like yours, older brother-in-law.

So whoever seems to be curious to suck down my data, you will only see a bare bones, XP system, running in a captive account (no Admin), and no good data. Just give me your IP and we can both save trouble, all FTP the whole damn thing to you, it'll be worthless. In a few days this should be locked down so tight you shouldn't even be able to detect me online.

But if you persist and show up in my logs, be perpared for some strong scripted counterattacks.

2 comments:

Determined said...

wow, sounds like things are getting uglier!

JQ75 said...

I'm hoping for the best, just some unrelated coincidence. But I'm a firm believer in removing the "ignorance defense".

Those who've screwed me over, can never claim to not know it. I make sure I give several warnings before I take strong action.

Any hacking isn't likely to have caused more than an annoyance. The most critical stuff is extremely well protected in multiple layers.

It helps to have spent so much time in my career protecting and recovering data. But I do have to warn people, knowing and doing are two separate things.

After way too many days with way too little sleep, I made the simple, but bad mistake of connecting before enabling the firewall. I knew better, but I didn't do better. But I did not make the mistake of having the data accessible or even physically attached.

Speaking of screwing me over, my own lawyer's actions (see Entering a New Phase) are getting him damn close to me taking action. He'd be toast already if he didn't have me over a barrel. But when he let's loose for just a minute, look out. And he'll have only himself to blame, I gave him ample warnings, I told him what was wrong and how to make it right.

I understand that as a lawyer he's handicapped by his own little strange world, but I spoke in English and that's sufficient.