Sunday, April 15, 2007

Hack Attack

Weak moment, bad mistake...

I tested my online connection on a freshly installed operating system before navigating all the hoops needed for a fully secure system. If you use XP Service Pack 1 (as I did) the firewall is disabled by default. A friend of mine had his system like that for months after installing a high speed broadband connection. Service Pack 2 enables it by default.

But understand The Microsoft Corporation are Security Morons. (jqism)

Even the firewall in Service Pack 2 is still an inbound only firewall. If you click on, download something, whatever, and it can run. There is unlimited outbound access, ie, send your data to the hacker.

I was online for only minutes before the attacks started coming in. I didn't fall for any of the "click here to fix your registry scams", but I did notice something odd. A glowing send light, while I was doing nothing. Then as I started to visit sites, why was the response so slow? A ten to one ratio of bytes sent vs received. That is either a tremendously noisy line (possible, I moved my connections quickly) or an aggressive attack.

So my friends, especially Mac1975, do not underestimate security. And Mac, my offer stands, if AK is using your PC, I'll help you secure it. No lectures, no preaching, no "I told you so", just help, in case. OK?


Status Update 04/16/07

I already mentioned the one way limitation of Microsoft's firewall. Well I installed a third party full strength bi-directional firewall and even with its default settings (which they have researched in depth and set very carefully), it ended the sending of data out and dramatically improved response time. Vista claims improved security, but you may have seen Apple's advertisements on repeatedly interrupting you with "cancel or allow". The third party firewall, available now for XP, was much more intelligent and doesn't bury you in interruptions.


Status Update 04/18/07

No comments: