Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Laying it all on the line

Well there comes a time you have to follow through to maintain your street cred. Don't try this at a court house near you. I was lucky. I walked out, and I was not held in contempt.

This has been a very difficult situation, I stand to loose everything I built in the 15 years prior to marriage. And I'm not speaking hypothetically, I mean a real high risk. Since I've already lost my family and most of my time with my son, that would be the crowning blow.

It is very depressing, high anxiety, high stress, added to an existing sleep disorder causing erratic sleep (as any who ever watched my post times can tell), which in turn aggravates the rest. Adverse effects from a recent medication change topped off the list.

As I sat there getting more stressed, more adverse side effects (akin to a severe hangover, with heart palpitations). The judge called us in to say the chance for settlement was slim, he'd give us two more hours to solve this two year old problem (don't want to be late for dinner) and then he'd declare a Phase III trial for an additional cost of at least $50K each with a majority going to me.

As usual opposition had increased their demands substantially not only reneging on prior verbal agreements, but even reneging on court orders (I think you call that contempt). I was given 15 minutes to decide.

I walked out of the court to the shock and dismay of the opposition. My lawyer quickly followed. I said to my lawyer I told you this morning that I am having a medical problem, I have told you I will not play this last minute game, I will not allow the court to place a cold barrel on my temple and be forced to decide the rest of my life in 15 minutes when this twisted game has been going on for 2 years. I am leaving the courthouse to maintain my health, I'd rather spend time in jail than in a hospital so you explain it to the judge. He asked me to wait a few minutes while he spoke to the judge, he came out and said we were continued until Monday.

I've got to repeat, that was a dangerous move.

This will give me time for a two pronged response. Research all the original commitments and how they were broken to push the agreement back to where it should be and to collect all the misdeeds of each court officer.

5 comments:

Lara Croft said...

I can see why there are a lot of murders in USA !

JQ75 said...

Suicides too.

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for you John. And don't even say the word suicide!

Lara Croft said...

No you go to hell for suicide but you can be forgiven for murder LOL LOL LOL

JQ75 said...

You go straight to jail for contempt of court, no trial, no jury. Threat of suicide is not a crime. Threat of murder to a citizen is a crime, against a court officer is a serious felony.

So you can see what the law tries to encourage, who it protects, and who it doesn't.

For two years there was no rush or priority on resolving the case, and the opposition had delay after delay. Now because the judge has passed an imaginary deadline for not taking care of his caseload I was facing threat of jail if I did not make life altering decisions in 15 minutes.

There is no time for American "justice" in the 21st century. Over the centuries the concept has been perverted, it has died and is rotting and stinking like a corpse in the hot sun.

In my town there is only one firm with a reputation worse than my wife's firm. Recently a man was arrested for putting out a murder contract on that lawyer, not his wife, but the lawyer who practices this same legal abuse tactic as my wife's lawyer.

When domestic relations court is reminiscent of drug crimes in third world countries then it demonstrates that the system is seriously broke. So just as in third world countries, there will be effort spent to protect corrupt judges and lawyers rather than insuring fairness to the citizen.

And where do greedy lawyers who ruin lives go upon their death?

As Denzil Washington said when faced with this dilemma in "Man on Fire" pertaining to corruption in the Mexican justice system, "I'm not playing God, I'm just arranging a meeting between them."

But it is so convenient that I don't need to travel to Mexico to sample that form of justice. It is alive and thriving in courts across America. In school though quite a different story is taught, but no field trips to real trials, it would confuse the students.

My 7 year old has a lawyer, is a defendant named by his mother and knows an aspect of the justice system that will be taught differently in school.