Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Why be anxious?

People in this case have told me, it's only money, just get it over with. You'll feel better. it's worth it for your peace of mind. Sounds plausible.

Let's get specific, got a dollar amount, a percentage of total assets, a blank check, or the sky's the limit.

Well in my case it's everything I have. And when it's being taken by pompous cavalier assholes, who aren't giving you any time to cope with it. It's just beyond ridiculous.

And even if my lawyer was a good advocate, as he often claims and pretends to be, there are the paltry results and sloppiness to consider. Pardon me, I like to judge by results, what have you billed, what did I get, how much was lost, how many times did I have to ask you?

Then there is the sloppy math mistakes and the lies I catch. When you loose count of these negative attributes, can you achieve "peace of mind"?

We were talking about tax consequences of a forced liquidation. He was scribbling, fussing, calculator, spreadsheet. I had my laptop open too, but didn't have that spreadsheet open. I rattled off cost, basis, current value, tax rate and net tax increase, while leaning back in his chair with my hands behind my head. I looked at him and said "Look no hands" (my bad). What's the difference, I care, it's my money, I worked hard for it. He had the same info in advance, he had the same question, in advance.

To protect my interests, shouldn't he know these details? They are straight forward calculations. Let's say that's out of scope. OK. Then I have a big problem with him making uninformed decisions regarding that money. Either you know your facts or you keep your mouth shut. Simple isn't it.

And besides my procrastination tendencies, I have a very legitimate and practical reason, I don't trust even my own lawyer, he has a serious conflict, he has a big receivable that he wants to seize like a starving wild animal. I would have stayed current but he was unwilling and unable to unfreeze my assets. So I have no qualms about owing him money. I pay my bills for results.

When you stand to loose another $100K, I think it is reasonable to spend a few hundred dollars to have an independent CPA review of options to insure your interest and that kind of money is protected. That's what I call piece of mind.

Having some greedy lawyer with a higher pressure sales pitch then the worst used car salesman you ever met, isn't my idea of piece of mind. In my book I'd call that desperation or stupid
or both.

And there is one more thing that makes me anxious and uncomfortable. This has been going on for over two years and you think I should make a $100K decision in two hours, call me what you will, procrastinator, indecisive, what ever, but not desperate or stupid.

No comments: