Thursday, May 10, 2007

What do you consider chump change?

Where do place round off error? If you drop a penny or a nickel in the street and traffic is heavy it would be foolish to risk your life for it.

How about a dime, a quarter, a dollar?

OK, let's make it easy, how about $10,000. Would you walk away and say oh well, it was chump change? Would you risk traffic to pick it up? Would you risk contempt of court and jail time?

It's not hypothetical. I have found $10,000 in errors so far in Tuesday's settlement.

Would that make you feel uncomfortable? Would you be upset? Would your trust in your "advocate" remain intact? Would you continue checking for more errors, or be happy finding that?

How did this happen? Careless, greed, and poor business practice. Could you keep quiet about it?

I feel that this repeated level of abuse rises to a level where it should be known. How? News media? Court document?

I really would like your feedback.

When I bring this stuff up, they mumble, and get defensive, and treat me like I'm some kind of nutty ingrate for questioning how these mistakes were made and how they will be prevented.

They give me their classic response, if you're unhappy, fire us and we'll seize your property to pay our fees that we charged you for making careless mistakes.

Tell me can you do that in your line of work? I can't, but maybe I have an old fashioned work ethic and my bosses take advantage of that. Maybe I'm not "with it" for 21st century work expectations. What do you think?

5 comments:

Determined said...

The reason why they mumble and get defensive is because they're not used to clients questioning their tactics.

Can they really do that? Can they seize your property? I was thinking of ignorning the next bill that my lawyers send me (if they send me anything). In fact, I feel like firing them, and representing myself. My case is so simple and so stupid, that I don't see the need to have them on my bankroll.

I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd temporarily sign over my bank accounts and my assets to a family member until the monsters go away. That way, they won't be able to charge crap and you can always claim that you don't have any money. Those bastards

Determined said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Determined said...

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. If you're really up to it, yes, write a letter to your local newspaper, or to your congressman. Mention names on the blog. But realize that your stress will become twofold! That's okay though, you won't be the first nor will you certainly be the last.

JQ75 said...

Sol, I actually have a pretty high tolerance for stress. So when I say JFSM, you can guess there are some things happening, some I may not have explained well, some I may have said and they are just unbelievable unless you see it for yourself, and a few I have kept to myself.

In the worst divorce cases, as mine fits that category. It is standard practice to freeze assets and prevent any transfer or access. A well prepared lawyer will go through the trouble of naming the custodian of the funds in the lawsuit and having an order placed on them.

In my case there is a plaintiff, my wife and six defendants, myself, my son, and four finacial institutions. She directed the orders to their legal departments who flagged my account, as you would a terrorist and my broker whom I've worked with for 30 years, can not get the funds, even a submitted transaction (opps), gets intercepted and canceled.

Can they - Yes, Do they - Yes, Do they miss things and you can bend around it, Yes, I did on one account. Can they ask for jail time if you do that, Yes.

Have they done more than freeze property, have they taken it by force. Yes, for my case, they have made court orders to seize property 4 times totaling $50K. It is not difficult or time consuming.

Each lawyer's tolerance and billing practice varies, some charge interest, some file a lawsuit against you.

I have a lot to write on this topic, but feel free to email me.

JQ75 said...

Ah Sol, I could join the club with you and Kate. I know that is a slippery slope. So I'm stepping lightly.

I did call the boss, and that's helped. But it still leaves the burden on me at a time when I have more burdens than I need.

I have drafted 6 exhibits and affidavits regarding the problems with my case. I am strongly considering making the final decree contingent on the acceptance and inclusion of the documents into the public record.

There are three ways to do this, appear as co-counsel and submit them to the court in my capacity as co-counsel. Make a demand that the decree is contingent on acceptance and inclusion. Argue the issues orally in open court.

I think I'll go with the middle one.

I have contacted activists at the county level and met with a county commissioner and the director of the county child enforcement agency. This year I will join the statewide activists.

So the questions is not if, it's when, who, how much?